- Higher Ed: English/Literature
- K-12: Science
What are bats exactly? Elementary school students will discover the exciting world of the flying mammal through books and Web resources. The lesson is designed to be taught collaboratively with a science teacher, and is a component of a class unit on bats. The lesson features a buILder component. Students will go through the Web-based resource to compile information for a field guide on bats.
Goals & Objectives:
· Students will learn about bats from print and electronic resources
· Students will use technology to produce a report on bats
· Students will take their prior knowledge and build upon it through research
· Students will find pictures of bats and draw a cover for their field guide on bats
· Students will answer questions located in their field guides
· Students will cite where they obtained their information
· Students will share what they learned with each other
- Generate interest in the research process
- Encourage further discovery
- Build students’ confidence in using sources to obtain information
- Bat decorations
- Book Stellaluna by Janell Cannon
- Easel, K-W-L chart, marker
- Display computer with Internet and projector
- Field Guide handout (see Supporting Files)
- Computers with Internet for students to independently use
- buILder online lesson found at http://www.informationliteracy.org/builder/view/1322
- Glue sticks
see supporting files
see supporting files
National Information Literacy Standards (K-12)
Accesses information efficiently and effectively.
Recognizes the need for information.
Formulates questions based on information needs.
Develops and uses successful strategies for locating information.
Evaluates information critically and competently.
Determines accuracy, relevance and comprehensiveness.
Selects information appropriate to the problem or question at hand.
Uses information accurately and creatively
Organizes information for practical application.
Integrates new information into one's own knowledge.
Applies information in critical thinking and problem solving.
Produces and communicates information and ideas in appropriate formats
- Subject: K-12: Science
National Content Standards (K-12)
Understands relationships among organisms and their physical environment